Cerebral Palsy Lawyers Houston
Cerebral palsy is a birth injury that affects body movement, motor control, coordination, posture, reflexes, and balance. It is a permanent condition and symptoms may stabilize or worsen over time. Other impairments may also result from the disorder, such as learning disabilities and intellectual impairment.
Because this birth injury commonly results from medical malpractice, it is important to seek guidance from cerebral palsy lawyers Houston if your child has been diagnosed with this condition.
Main Types of Cerebral Palsy
The first thing to know about cerebral palsy is there are three main types. Each type affects the sufferer differently.
- Spastic cerebral palsy: Accounting for nearly 80% of all cerebral palsy cases, spastic cerebral palsy is the most common form of the disorder. Stiffness and muscle tightness make it very difficult for sufferers to move. Grabbing, holding, or releasing objects may be very difficult or impossible with this disorder.
- Ataxic cerebral palsy: Approximately 10% of cases are ataxic cerebral palsy, which affects the sufferer’s depth perception, coordination, and balance. It also commonly causes tremors.
- Athetoid cerebral palsy: The last 10% of cases are athetoid cerebral palsy, which can cause involuntary movement, issues with swallowing or speech, and poor muscle tone or posture.
Causes of Cerebral Palsy Birth Injuries Texas
The majority of children with cerebral palsy were born with it. It can be caused by premature birth, lack of oxygen to the brain, or delivery trauma. There are many forms of medical malpractice that can cause this birth injury, such as:
- Untreated or undiagnosed meningitis during pregnancy
- Failure to treat or detect a prolapsed umbilical cord
- Inadequate fetal heart rate monitoring
- Failure to schedule and perform a cesarean section when needed
- Negligent use of instruments and equipment, resulting in harm to the baby during delivery
Any of the above situations can cause a child to be born with a form of cerebral palsy.
Birth Injury Compensation
Birth injury compensation exists to provide families with the resources needed to properly care for injured children. Recoverable damages may include:
- Medical costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earning potential
- Emotional distress
Often times, birth injury cases are settled outside of court. Having a birth injury attorney experienced with cerebral palsy medical malpractice cases is an invaluable asset to these claims. An attorney with experience in these claims will fight to ensure the settlement is what you deserve and will represent you if the case does go to court.
Knowledgeable and Supportive Cerebral Palsy Lawyers Houston
When a child is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, the parents’ first instinct is to protect and nurture their child. There can be great expenses involved in caring for a child diagnosed with cerebral palsy. If your child’s birth injury or birth defect is due to medical malpractice, you may be able to receive compensation to cover medical expenses and damages.
Contact The Law Offices of Richard J. Plezia & Associates at 1-800-428-1853 or fill out our contact form for your free consultation. Our birth injury attorneys put our clients first and fight for them with attentive representation.