Residents along the Gulf Coast have experienced massive amounts of rainfall in the past month, but long-term weather reports are estimating that the worst is yet to come. With a particularly rainy season coming up, it’s important to make sure you know what to expect from flood damage.
- Your home insurance more than likely doesn’t cover flood damage. You might already know this, but many people elect not to have flood damage insurance. If you live in an area that is prone to flooding, do your homework and see how purchasing a flood insurance policy can protect your home and/or business. Also, keep in mind that it usually takes 30 days for a newly purchased flood insurance policy to take effect; so buy early before it’s too late.
- Even a few inches of rain can cause property damage. While a small depth of rain may not seem like much, even small amounts of water can cause swelling and warping of wood flooring and drywall and compromise the structural integrity of the structure.
- Flood and rising water damage can be visibly microscopic. If water damage is not dried quickly and properly after a flood, mold and mildew can quickly form and spread throughout the damp area, causing a serious health hazard.
- You don’t have to live near a body of water to experiencing flooding. Even areas at higher elevation can sustain flooding if there is enough rainfall. Don’t think just because you don’t live in a floodplain, you don’t have to be prepared for a flood.
- The water itself can be dangerous. As water rapidly flows during a flood, it is constantly picking up contaminants. Bacteria and fungi can be rampant in the water and cause illnesses in humans and animals. Water from overflowing streams, ground surface water, and seawater can be grossly contaminated.
Texas Flood Damage Claim Attorneys
Richard J. Plezia & Associates is a Houston-based law firm with the experience needed to deal with insurance companies and other responsible parties. If you feel your insurance company is not being fair with you and is delaying or denying your claim, contact us as soon as possible to discuss your case and legal options.