Oil Rig Explosion Accidents
What causes oil rig explosion accidents in Houston and across Texas? There is no single reason for all oilfield accidents. Explosions accidents are often serious and result in a disastrous oilfield explosion injury. One or more of the following causes are responsible for most oil rig explosions:
- Improper Maintenance. From high-tech equipment to simple hoses and connections, plants and refineries depend on the function of their equipment. When maintenance standards are ignored and equipment is allowed to break down, catastrophic accidents are often the result.
- Dirty Chemicals. The cocktail of chemicals used in the drilling process must be pure. Dirty chemicals can lead to unforeseen reactions that heighten the risk for oil rig explosion accidents.
- Unseen Corrosion. A maze of pipes and metal holding tanks spends its lifetime in contact with daily weather elements and salty coastal air. Weakened metal worn down by corrosion cannot perform at the highest standard.
- Violation of Safety Regulations. The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration – OSHA – has strict regulations designed to create a safer rig yard. Violations of OSHA standards place employees at risk for injury and death. These violations range in negligence and are a primary reason for oilfield explosion injuries.
Types of Oilfield Explosion Injuries
Catastrophic oilfield explosion injuries are common and result in expensive medical care and long-term rehabilitation. If you or a loved one has suffered an oilfield explosion injury, contact the office of Richard J. Plezia & Associates for help. Our personal injury attorneys will fight for the financial recovery you deserve. If you have any of the following injuries, contact us today:
- Orthopedic injuries like broken arms, legs, and ribs
- Head trauma and brain damage
- Severe burns
- Injury to the respiratory system
- Back and neck pain
- Vision impairment
- Loss of life
Oilfield Explosion Injury Prevention
Responsible operators must take preventive actions to reduce the threat of oil rig explosions and oil rig drilling accidents. This starts with data monitoring and careful inspection of rig components. Well operators must be trained to recognize dangerous scenarios and how to handle emergency evacuations. Frequent drills and established evacuation procedures are a must. Finally, operators should be prepared to call in well-control specialists if conventional methods to control an oil rig incident do not work.
Get Legal Help After Oil Rig Explosion Accidents
Richard J. Plezia & Associates has a full team of oil rig explosion accidents attorneys that are ready to take on your case. If you have been injured in an explosion, call our Houston oilfield accident lawyers today. We can help you protect your rights, and stop negligent owners and operators from breaching their safety duties. You may be eligible to recover medical damages, lost wages, and damages from pain and suffering. Oil drilling is a complex process, and it’s no surprise that explosions happen when safety and maintenance standards are ignored. Negligence is no excuse for oilfield explosions.