The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that over 4,500 workplace fatalities occur each year, and thousands more workers are injured on the job. While some industries account for more injuries than others, there are several tips every company can follow to decrease the likelihood of workplace accident.
Tips For A Safe Workplace:
- The property safety equipment is crucial to preventing injuries. Gloves, eyewear, and hard hats are some of the most common personal protective equipment (PPE) issued to workers, but it’s also important for less frequently used items like fire extinguishers to be easily accessible to employees.
- The proper signage is the best way to warn employees of potential dangers. Something as simple as a small puddle of water could cause serious injuries if an employee slips. More dangerous conditions like those on a construction site should be adequately marked, including live wires, hazardous materials, and heavy machinery operation.
- Safety training is a necessity for employees. An employee should know how to safely operate any machines they might use on the job site.
- Safety plans should be well practiced. Fire drills, tornado drills, and other safety protocols should be firmly in place so employees know what to do in the case of an emergency.
- Overworked employees are more likely to make a mistake. When employees work long hours, they could lose the ability to concentrate and experience burnout that could make them an accident risk.
- Have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol and/or drugs in the workplace. Alcohol and drugs are involved in approximately 3% of workplace fatalities.
Houston Work Accident Attorneys
Every worker has the right to a safe workplace, and employers have a responsibility to provide a secure place of work for their employees. However, for a number of reasons, workplace accidents do occur and cause thousands of on the job injuries each year. If you or a loved one has been injured on the job, you need an experienced Houston workplace accident attorney to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. The experienced attorneys at Richard J. Plezia & Associates have helped victims of workplace accidents get the full compensation they need to recover from their injuries. Call us today for a free consultation.